For years women have made forays into sporting good stores, trying to find just the right gift for their hunter husbands, now the shoe, (or hunting boot) is on the other foot. It is time, now, for women hunters to demand their rights to good Christmas gifts from their spouses. I mean, hey, anyone can go out and buy a diamond necklace, it takes real skill to find a gift for a woman hunter. (Of course, a new rifle looks really good with a diamond necklace wrapped around it, doesn’t it?) Ok, so much for fantasy. Lets give a cheer for those gifts, appropriately wrapped in camo paper, for all us hunters.
! Practical gifts
! IN –THE-FIELD GIFTS
- Heavy wool socks – I’m talking men’s socks here, to really keep the feet warm.
- New hunting boots, make sure they fit.
- A new knife, or a knife and saw set. Custom made is even better. Make sure it fits HER hand.
- Warm hats and gloves and maybe even silk underwear. Very good for wicking moisture and it just feels nice.
- Good binoculars. Find out what she wants, usually smaller and lighter weight.
- Don’t go for the huge ones just because YOU think they are swell. Get something for her.
- A chest strap to hold them down when walking and/or stalking.
- A new rifle sling, (here’s a good time to make brownie points. Find a leather worker and have one custom made with her name or initials on it.)
- A new rifle and or bow, if you know she wants one. Sometimes, the old standbys are better.
- A spotting scope if you hunt anywhere where there are long distances.
- Book a hunt for two somewhere you’ve never been, or a hunt for her if she is the only hunter. You can go as a non-hunter. Make a vacation of it.
- An African Safari. Need I say more.
- A Stone sheep hunt, if she’s always wanted one.
- For the hunter who also fishes, how about a deep sea fishing trip. It’s sort of like a cruise, but a lot more action.
- Take some of her old horns and have them mounted by a good taxidermist. Add a bow for the festive look.
- Have the ones she already has hanging on the wall cleaned. They will look better.
- If she is a reader, good hunting books, especially those with photos of big game.
- For a unique gift, if you have any European skulls laying around, have them painted by an artist. They make an usual and unique gift.
- Have some photos of her with her trophies enlarged and framed. Note: An 11x14 is a good size.
! STOCKING STUFFERS
- Shells and broadheads. We can never have enough of either.
- Gift certificates to our favorite sporting goods store/catalog.
- Pocket knives and steels. Especially a small steel for in the field, and/or a whet stone. Gotta keep them knives sharp.
- A membership to the WomenHunters Club.
There you have it, some gift ideas for those who are married to us women hunters. We love you anyway, but to find out that you know what we like is a big plus, and you will be rewarded for your attentiveness to our hobby. Merry Christmas.
© December 2006